The City of Saint-Priest is organising an International Piano Competition which will take place at the Theo Argence Theatre from 4 to 7 April 2019. The competition is open to pianists of all nationalities, aged 15 to 30 years old on 3 April 2019.
RULES AND REGULATIONS
- Participation to the Competition constitutes acceptance by the contestant of all rules and regulations.
- Failure to comply with the rules or conditions of participation may result in the candidate’s disqualification, without right of appeal.
- Competition officials reserve the right to request additional information from any candidate.
- The order of appearance of the selected competitors will be determined by a random draw, which will take place Thursday 4 April 2019 at 10 am at the City Hall of Saint-Priest.
- If, for a valid reason, a competitor is unable to be present for the random draw, a member of the Competition staff will be enlisted to draw on the competitor’s behalf.
- A competitor who is unable to perform at the designated time will be disqualified, unless his or her absence can be justified in advance to the Competition officials, who may, at their discretion, choose to modify the order of appearance of competitors.
- All pieces must be played from memory. Candidates may perform their program with or without repeats, as long as the total length of the program remains within the prescribed playing time. The jury reserves the right to stop the candidate if the performance exceeds the time limit.
- Each candidate will have the possibility of trying the piano on stage Thursday 4 April from 12:15 pm to 7 pm. The planning will respect the order of the draw.
The 5 candidates selected for the finale will benefit from a 30-minute rehearsal on stage of the Theo Argence Theatre on Sunday 7 April from 10 am to 12:30 pm. The planning will respect the order of the initial draw.
- Candidates will have the possibility of using a warm-up piano right before playing for the Semi-Final or Final at the Theatre Theo Argence.
- Preceded by a pre-selection the competition is run in 3 rounds. Online videos must have been realised within the last 18 months from the application deadline date (15 December 2018). The candidate’s profile and hands must be clearly visible at all times on the screen; the camera angle must be fixed, and the microphones should be positioned to obtain a good sound quality. The jury reserves the right to disqualify a candidate who submits video with poor sound quality.
The candidate will have the right to choose the order of the pieces in his or her program for each round.
- In making its decisions, the jury will take into account the difficulty and the balanced construction of the programs for each round.
- Competitors must agree to be free of all other professional activities during the entire duration of the Competition 4 to 7 April 2019 included.
- Competitors must forfeit all recording, broadcasting and distribution rights of any kind to the Concours International de Piano Antoine de Saint Exupéry, together with all artists’ resale rights, for an unlimited period. By completing the official entry form, candidates agree to release all rights regarding the future use of recordings of their performance(s).
- Competitors are required to make themselves available for all interviews, videos, and/or promotional meetings relating to the Competition.
- The First Prize will have the possibility to be engaged by professionals starting from 2020. The conditions will be proposed to the prize Winner. The Committee does not take part to these conditions.
- This document was originally drafted in French. In case of dispute, the only text of legal value is the original French text. Competition officials reserve the right to modify the text of this document at any time.
- A letter of invitation may be provided to successful applicants in need of a visa.
- The Concours International de Piano Antoine de Saint Exupéry in Saint-Priest will disqualify any candidate who has not paid his or her application entry fee of 100€ by 15 December 2018.
- Only the winners of the five main prizes can describe themselves as laureates of the Concours International de Piano Antoine de Saint Exupéry in Saint-Priest.
- Candidates who are studying (except from Masterclasses) with any member of the jury at the time of the competition are not allowed to participate.
The Jury will be chaired by Pascal Nemirovski, “International Chair in Piano” at the Royal Birmingham Conservatoire, Royal Academy of Music (London), Hon ARAM. He will be joined by 6 internationally renowned personalities.
The jury is composed of members selected from among the most eminent figures on the music scene. The panel of the international Jury will be announced prior to the opening of the Competition.
- One or several artistic agent(s) or musical programmer(s).
- One or several music journalist (s), or radio/tv producer
- Three or four international concert pianists and/or professors from world-class Conservatoires or Universities.
Entrusted to select and reward the most deserving candidates, the panel of judges has complete discretion in making its selection and awarding Competition prizes. The jury’s decisions are final and non-appealable.
Once the results of the final will be revealed, members of the jury will have the possibility, if they agree, to discuss with candidates about their performances.
|1st prize :||
|2nd prize :||
|3rd prize :||
|4th prize :||
|5th Prize :||
Audience Prize : 1.000€
This Prize will be awarded by a public vote.
The Prize-winners ceremony will take place immediately after the deliberation of the jury and the vote of the public. The prizes will be presented at the Theatre Théo Argence, in the presence of the Mayor, the elected representative in charge of Culture, a representative of the public, the Jury and the organisers.
Candidates, if they wish, can be accommodated free of charge with host families with a piano in Saint-Priest or around.
They must indicate their wish in the registration form. The conditions of housing will be notified on the website of the Competition.
The host families will be able to make themselves known to the Direction of the Competition from June 2018 and will commit themselves to host for the period of the Competition.
Travel expenses are at the responsibility of the contestants.
Candidates who do not need an accommodation in a host family will have the possibility to stay in hotels at their own expenses and will have access to pianos at the Conservatoire de St-Priest from Thursday 4 April 2019 at 8 am.
APPLICATION DEADLINE : 15 December 2018
CANDIDATES SELECTED : 7 January 2019
ARRIVAL OF CANDIDATES : 3 April 2019
DRAWING OF LOTS : 4 April 2019, 10 am
QUATER-FINAL : 4 April at 8:30 pm and 5 April (all day) 2019
SEMI-FINAL : 6 April (all day) 2019
FINAL : 7 April 2019, 2:30 pm